When the Time is Right for a Root Canal
Root canals are incredibly common, but only a dental professional can be certain if you need one. There are all kinds of symptoms that imply you need a root canal, so take a look at the various ways to tell if it’s time for this treatment.
Symptoms to Spot
When you need a root canal, pain around the tooth is the most obvious sign. Yet there are other symptoms that you may notice, along ones that only an affordable dental care expert will be able to detect. These include:
- Discomfort from slight to extreme around the infected tooth.
- Pain when the tooth is touched.
- Sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures.
- Swelling and tenderness of the gums.
- Discoloration of the tooth.
- Inflamed nerves.
- Cracked teeth.
- Unsuccessful prior treatment.
Tests for Treatment
If you experience any of these symptoms, you should make an appointment with your dentist or an affordable dental care specialist in endodontics in Goshen. Many times, it’s your dentist who will first notice a problem during one of your regular check-ups. Either way, the real root of the problem will be determined through one of these tests:
- Probing of the tooth.
- X-rays of the area.
- Thermal testing where extreme temperatures are applied to test the nerve.
- Electric testing to examine the tooth’s inner pulp.
Soothing Steps Until Treatment
Only these tests will tell if you need to have a root canal. Ignore the silly myth that there is root canal pain. The only root canal pain you’ll feel will be from the problem before treatment. You may have to wait a few days for your dentist or a specialist in endodontics in Goshen to perform the procedure. Try these simple at-home remedies to ease the pain while you wait:
- Avoid putting pressure on the painful tooth.
- Place ice over the area to soothe the tender nerve.
- Take an over-the-counter pain reliever.
- Get an antibiotic if you have an infection.
- Try to rest and relax until your treatment.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Goshen, call The Dental Center of Goshen today at (574) 538-2011 or make an appointment.
The Dental Center offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Goshen. With 4 affiliated practices throughout Indiana, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At The Dental Center of Goshen, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at The Dental Center of Goshen.