Dentures for Tooth Loss
Dentures, also known as false teeth, are a highly recommended solution for tooth loss. Denture options have increased over the years and are no longer the oversized caricature-like “chompers” classically parodied in the media. Although denture wear often requires an adjustment period, they are the most affordable way to replace missing and lost teeth. Talk to an affordable dentist in Goshen about the advantages of permanent dentures for replacing lost or missing teeth and learn how to overcome common issues that impact new users.
Issues Associated with Denture Use
Dental care with dentures is as important as it was when you had all your teeth. Failure to keep your mouth clean and healthy can lead to several issues:
- Irritation of the gums and mouth
- Difficulty eating
- Challenges with speaking
- Instability of dentures in the mouth
- Infections of the mouth
Addressing Denture Problems
Whether you have temporary or permanent dentures, you need to properly care for the appliances to ensure that your dental health remains intact and your dentures last. These tips can help you address potential denture issues.
- Maintain the fit of your dentures. Gums and bones can shift and change over time, causing your dentures to fit less comfortably. To prevent complications, potentially embarrassing moments, and improve your comfort, have your dentures assessed regularly for adjustments, modifications or replacement. Your dentist should always advise and assist you with denture adjustments—never attempt to adjust your dentures yourself.
- Be careful when speaking. New dentures require an adjustment period. You may have to practice smiling, laughing, and speaking at home when you first get your dentures. Certain words can be more difficult to say than others, but be patient. With time and practice your natural speech pattern will be restored. If notice movement of your dentures with basic mouth movements and it doesn’t improve with time and practice, talk to your dentist in Goshen; a denture adjustment may be necessary.
- Consume a soft food diet. Eating, like speaking, requires an adjustment period. In the beginning, follow these six tips and eat more soft foods than crunchy or chewy foods.
- Opt for soft foods, such as yogurt and eggs
- Avoid sticky foods, candies, and gum
- Take small bites
- Chew your food slowly
- Try to distribute food evenly on both sides of the mouth to even out chewing and keep dentures in place
- Be patient—eating will become easier with time and practice
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Goshen, call The Dental Center of Goshen today at (574) 538-2011 or make an appointment.
The Dental Center offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Goshen. With 4 affiliated practices throughout Indiana, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At The Dental Center of Goshen, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at The Dental Center of Goshen.