Be Aware and Beware of the Link Between Diabetes and Oral Health
Dentists are very concerned about new research on the relationship between dental problems and diabetes. Discover these facts and findings to protect yourself from problems.
The Risky Relationship Between Diabetes and Oral Health
Around 22 percent of people with diabetes suffer from the most severe type of gum disease called periodontal disease. These staggering statistics should serve as a warning and a wake-up call. If you’re diabetic, you must be aware of the dental effects of having both periodontal disease and diabetes, including:
- Red, swollen, or bleeding gums, which are a sign of gum disease
- Higher risk of cavities due to less saliva
- Dry mouth because of insufficient saliva caused by both diabetes and certain medications
- Higher risk of oral infections
Twice the Health Hazards
According to research, there is a reciprocal relationship between periodontal disease and diabetes. This means that diabetics run a greater risk of developing severe gum disease. But it also means that having periodontal disease increases your blood sugar level and makes your diabetes more difficult to control. As a result, each disease worsens the other and causes major problems with diabetes and oral health.
Prevent Dental and Medical Problems
With research revealing the dangerous relationship between diabetes and teeth, you need to take care of your dental and overall health. Follow these simple steps to help prevent any problems:
- Practice good oral hygiene at home, including brushing at least twice a day and flossing at least once daily.
- See your dentist for checkups and cleanings at least twice a year. If you have a history of diabetes and teeth problems, you may have to visit more frequently.
- Manage your blood sugar levels.
- Take all of your diabetes-related medications.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Avoid smoking.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Goshen, call The Dental Center of Goshen today at (574) 538-2011 or make an appointment.
The Dental Center offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Goshen. With 4 affiliated practices throughout Indiana, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At The Dental Center of Goshen, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at The Dental Center of Goshen.